Tuesday 7 April 2015

Applying transfers.

For years I didn't use transfers on my models, I found them fiddly to use and when i did try it they didn't look right and had a tendency to chip and flake off. I got around this fairly well by free handing things like chapter badges onto my models which worked fine for simple symbols. Then my beautiful wife brought me an Imperial Knight for our 3rd wedding anniversary and it can with this...

The imperial knight transfer sheet has a level of detail I've never seen before on any GW transfers before and was just too good a resource not to use. But how was I going to get the transfers to look good and stay on. I was chatting to a mate of mine about this, Gus, check out his YouTube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNf97KIzplNipgXwORdpd_w ), and he told me a simple technique that I used on my knight to get results that I was really pleased with.

-Once the model is painted, paint the whole area in a layer of Vallejo satin varnish.

-Cut out the transfer from the sheet put it in clean water for about 30 sec and then gently ease it off the backing paper with a brush

-Use the brush to apply it to where you want it and smooth it out using a little water it needed.

-Once it is COMPLETELY dry (i.e. leave it for a long time) apply another layer of the Vallejo satin varnish over the top.


The first layer of varnish gives a smooth surface for the transfer to adhere to and the top layer "hides" the faint "halo" around the the transfer and protects it from clipping and where-and-tare. I was really pleased with the results and hope that this quick guide helps you if you're struggling to get the most out of transfers.

No comments:

Post a Comment